Scallop Squash Recipes (Patty Pan Squash Recipes)
These are our favorite Scallop Squash Recipes (also known as Patty Pan
or Pattypan Squash.) Scallop or Pattypan Squash is a Summer Squash
that's delicious raw, steamed, sautéed, grilled, roasted, fried, or
It's fun shape (almost a flying saucer with scalloped edges) makes it
irresistible for kids to try, especially when they help grow it
themselves. Some varieties come in a bright, beautiful, yellow color
Pattypan squash mixes well with tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, cheese, and
many fresh herbs (marjoram, rosemary, dill, thyme, parsley,... to name a
Try these scallop squash recipes and let us know if you have a favorite you'll share with us.
These first few Scallop Squash Recipes take advantage of the unique and
beautiful shape of pattypan squash by leaving each squash whole. Try
using scallop squash with your favorite kabob, stuffed, or roasted
vegetable recipe and see how it brightens up the plate:
Stuffed Sunburst Squash
- 4 medium Pattypan Squash
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil (extra-virgin is best)
- 1 clove minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- 1 bunch Fresh Spinach, washed and finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 dash Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- 1 large Egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup grated Swiss Cheese (or Gruyère Cheese for more flavor)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Fill a large pot 3/4 full of water and bring to a boil.
- Place squash in boiling water and boil for 5 minutes.
- Drain the water and allow squash to cool.
- Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each squash so that they will stand on their own.
- Cut about 1/2 inch from the tops of each squash and remove the insides to hollow the squash. Set squash insides aside.
- Melt butter and oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and sauté until soft.
- Add the spinach and soy sauce and sauté until the spinach is tender and the liquid has mostly evaporated.
- Move the spinach mixture to a bowl and allow to partially cool.
- Season with salt, pepper, and optional cayenne pepper to taste.
- Stir in the egg and 1/2 cup of the swiss or Gruyere cheese. Mix well.
- Add a small amount of the squash insides and discard the rest of the insides.
- Spoon the spinach/cheese mixture into the squash shells.
- Place the stuffed squash in a single layer in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Pour hot water into the pan to fill about 1/2 inch.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or the squash is tender and the filling is no longer runny.
Baked stuffed pattypan squash
- 4 Pattypan Squash, washed
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb. lean sausage, chopped
- 3/4 cup Parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut squash in half (horizonally) and hollow.
- Chop onion finely.
- Crumble the sausage into a pan and cook until no longer pink.
- Remove sausage from pan and set aside.
- Add onion to the pan with sausage fat and cook about 2 minutes or until soft.
- Mix together in a bowl the sausage, onion, parsley, bread crumbs, pepper and 2 tablespoons water.
- Divide mixture among squash halves.
- Brush the tops of the stuffed squash with olive oil.
- Place squash in single layer in baking dish just large enough to hold all of the squash.
- Fill baking dish with 1/2 inch water.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking about 15 minutes or until stuffing is browned and squash tender.
Grilled Vegetables with Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
Cilantro Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup fresh Cilantro, packed
- 1/2 cup fresh Parsley, packed
- 1/3 cup Scallions, finely chopped
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 teaspoons Lime Juice
- 1/2 cup Plain Nonfat Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Reduced-Fat or Fat-Free Sour Cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
Grilled Vegetable Ingredients:
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated or minced gingerroot
- Baby pattypan squash (enough for 8 kabobs)
- Cherry tomatoes (enough for 8 kabobs)
- Zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch chunks (enough for 8 kabobs)
- Red onion, quartered and separated into 3-layer pieces (enough for 8 kabobs)
- Red and green bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch square chunks (enough for 8 kabobs)
- Corn on the cob, cut into 1/2-inch rounds (enough for 8 kabobs)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in water for an hour.
- Make the Cilantro Yogurt sauce first: Combine the cilantro,
parsley, scallions, garlic, and lime juice in a food processor or mixer
- puree until finely chopped.
- Add the sour cream and yogurt to the herb/lime juice mixture. Continue mixing until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Set cilantro yogurt sauce aside.
- Preheat grill.
- Stir the olive oil, garlic and gingerroot together in a bowl.
- Skewer the vegetables and brush on the olive oil mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the vegetables, basting occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes or until brown.
- Serve with the cilantro yogurt sauce on top or on the side.
Try pattypan squash in your favorite summer squash casserole recipe. These Scallop Squash Recipes do:
Scalloped Squash Casserole
- 8 ounce package Stuffing
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 lbs. sliced Pattypan Squash (any yellow squash or even zucchini will work)
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1 cup grated Carrot
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 cup Reduced-Fat or Fat-Free Sour Cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix melted butter into stuffing mix and set aside.
- Cook squash and onions in a small amount of water for 6-8 minutes over low heat until partially cooked.
- Drain squash and onions well.
- Add grated carrots, cream of chicken soup and sour cream to the squash and onions.
- Spray a shallow casserole with cooking spray.
- Cover the bottom of the casserole with 1/2 of the stuffing mix.
- Spoon squash mixture on top of stuffing.
- Top with the remaining stuffing.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until brown.
Simple Scallop Squash Recipe
- 3 medium Squash, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 dash Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Minced Onion
- 4 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (unless using microwave.)
- Spray 1 1/2 quart casserole with cooking spray.
- Cover bottom with squash.
- Dot squash with butter.
- Season with salt, paprika and onion.
- Cover squash with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Pour milk on top.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until squash is
tender or microwave on High Power for 5-6 minutes; stirring
Chillin' Summer Squash Soup
- 4 medium Zucchini, washed and sliced in 1 inch pieces
- 1 large Yellow Crookneck Squash, washed and sliced in 1 inch pieces
- 1 Pattypan Squash, quartered
- 1 large Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced Garlic
- 3 cups Chicken Broth, defatted
- Salt and Ground White Pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Basil, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Plain Non-Fat Yogurt
- Place squash, onion, garlic, broth, salt, and white pepper in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Puree the squash mixture in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Set aside a small amount of the basil and parsley for garnishing.
- Add the basil, parsley and lemon juice and puree again.
- Stir in the yogurt.
- Store soup in a covered container in the refrigerater for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Whisk the soup until smooth just before serving.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with the remaining chopped basil and parsley.
- Serve chilled.
Patty Pan Lasagna
- 1 large Scallop (Patty Pan) Squash, sliced in 1/4 inch pieces
- Salt to taste
- 8 ounce jar Spaghetti Sauce
- 8 ounces 2% Fat Cottage Cheese
- 1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Lightly salt patty pan squash slices to reduce water in squash and let sit for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Drain squash.
- Lightly spray 1 1/2 quart square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Please 1/3 of sliced squash in baking dish.
- Pour or spoon 1/3 of spaghetti sauce on top of squash.
- Top with 1/3 cottage, mozzarella & parmesan cheeses.
- Repeat the squash, sauce, and cheese layers 2 more times, ending with cheeses.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Sauteed Scallop Squash
- 2 lbs. mixed Squash (Yellow Crookneck, Zucchini, Scallop Squash), washed and cut into comparable slices
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 Green Onions, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup Celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add onions and celery.
- Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add squash, salt, pepper and water.
- Cover and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and cook until tender, stirring frequently.
Have a Scallop Squash Recipe?
Do you have a great scallop squash recipe - or any way you've managed to sneak scallop squash into a recipe without your kids protesting? Please Share!
What Other Visitors Have Shared
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Scallop squash patties Not rated yet
Wash, peel, remove seeds, and shred scallop squash. Mix one egg, one fourth cup Parmesan cheese, one half cup white corn meal, salt and pepper to taste. …
Best Fried Squash Not rated yet
Wash and dry squash. Cut squash about 1/4 in thick. Dredge in plain flour. Drop into a bowl …
squash cake Not rated yet
1 box yellow cake mix
2 eggs plus 3 yolks
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup,pattypan(white) squash boiled tender and drained,then …
patty pan squash scallop Not rated yet
I found this recipe on your website 3 weeks ago and now it's gone. Can you put it back up? It used bread crumbs and creme fraiche as 2 ingredients. …
Fried Squash Not rated yet
Cut squash in half, take out seeds if large, peel squash and slice thin. Put flour into large baggie. Dip squash into milk and place into baggie with …
fried patty pan Not rated yet
equal parts, instant mashed potato, flour and cornmeal. slice squash, put in egg wash and dip in mix of dry ingredients. sautee in olive oil until tender. …
Patty Pan Veggie Succotash Not rated yet
2 cups Patty Pan (bite
2 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 cups fresh corn kernels (from 3 to 4 ears)
1/2 lb green beans
1 small white onion
2 roma …
Grilled Scalloped Squash Not rated yet
Scalloped squash 4-5 inch size.
Adobo Seasoning (cumin, salt, pepper, garlic)
Cut squash into chunks, toss with oil and seasoning to coat, …
Glazed Scallop Squash Not rated yet
3 scallop squash-sliced,or diced(remove seeds if you want)
1/4 C. brown sugar
2 Tbsp butter.
adjust sugar and butter to taste. This squash is sweet. …
Too easy grilled scallop squash Not rated yet
Cut the tips off each side of the squash and split it down the middle. On a platter pour some olive oil, salt, pepper and a little onion and/or garlic …
Click here to write your own.
We share all of these Scallop Squash Recipes (and lots more) on Plan to Eat
. We highly recommend this Meal & Grocery Planning app!
Sign up for our free "Kids Canteen" E-zine.