Smoothies for Kids
There's no better way to get your kids to eat plenty of fresh fruits than smoothies for kids! They're quick and easy to make, the kids can help (or even make them all by themselves,) they're healthy, AND they're yummy! Once you get the hang of it, you can even sneak a few vegetables in!
In case you've always wondered but never quite knew what a smoothie was, it's a shake-like drink (thick and usually creamy) that's typically made from fruits and milk or yogurt (sometimes including protein powder.) The recipe possibilities are about as endless as personalities, but it's VERY easy to make a yummy smoothie.
See our How to make smoothies page for a quick lesson.
You can be as experimental or structured as you'd like with smoothies. With smoothies for kids, it's best to start off with a proven recipe that contains ingredients your kids already love. Then, once they consider it a treat, start adding extra-healthy ingredients and experimenting. Smoothies are terrific for toddlers and even older babies too, and you don't need to sneak the vegetables in if you start younger. Just check with your baby books on ingredients that are age-appropriate (I'm a little rusty on those early years!)
Try these easy smoothie recipes and then let your kids tell us how they liked them. Which was their favorite? Did you try something experimental? Just add a visitor comment to the recipe you try and you'll be able to add your vote as well. Or send us your own favorite smoothie recipe - one you've always loved OR a tweaked version of one you found here.
Simple Strawberry Smoothie
- 8-10 fresh or frozen strawberries (stems and leaves removed)
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 cup Yogurt (Fat-Free or Reduced Fat Strawberry Flavored)
- 1-2 cups Ice (crushed is easiest to start with)
- Crush ice (in blender if necessary)
- Place remaining ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
Blueberry Blast Smoothie
- 2 cups Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup Pineapple Orange Juice (or any other juice)
- 1 cup Non-Fat Vanilla Yogurt (or use plain yogurt and then add a little vanilla for less sugar)
- Honey to taste
See LOTS more smoothie recipes... and share your own!
See our Vegetable Smoothies page if you'd like to see recipes that sneak a few vegetables in.
Read about our favorite blender, especially for kids making their own smoothies. They won't need to cut up a thing!
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
Return HOME from Smoothies for Kids Page